Heritage Trail of Mangonui | A fine walk around the Heritage Precinct of Mangonui township in Far North New Zealand | Site 8


St Andrew’s Anglican Church, which was opened by the Rev Joseph Matthews in November 1860, served as a combined school and church until 1870.

The churchyard gravestones record many of the early family names from Mangonui. The belfry was erected in 1862 and an extension to the building added in 1976. The stained glass windows were installed in 1992; the window behind the altar depicting a scene from the life of St Andrew as a fisherman, the two smaller windows showing early Mangonui history – whaling, timber milling, and early Maori settlement of the area. The circular church lounge addition was dedicated in 1997.

Regular services of several denominations are now held here.

Next: Walk up Colonel Mould Drive to Mangonui School Site 9. The original school is the first building on the left.

Scroll to Top
Skip to content