Heritage Trail of Mangonui | A fine walk around the Heritage Precinct of Mangonui township in Far North New Zealand | Site 13
OLD OAK HOTEL 1861
The Old Oak Hotel was built by John McIntosh and was first known as the Mangonui Hotel.
In 1906, when the Settlers Hotel in Mill Bay was demolished, the name and license were transferred to this hotel. In 1910, the proprietor, John Bray, changed the hotel’s name to The Old Oak. At that time, there was an oak tree, about 30-40 years old, in front of the hotel.
In the following years, the building was used as a boarding house, private residence, butcher’s shop, restaurant, craft shop, and again as a hotel.
Next:Continue on the right-hand side of Waterfront Drive to the Feist Bakery Site 14.